Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Legein

With the end of the year fast aproaching, I have to say that I am happy that I am not in the UK, because TV there is crap.
About this time of the year, they will be starting showing reruns, and then they start the anual recap of the year, best songs, best news story, most horrific crime, you know the stuff.
Between here and there, one similarity is that TV is bad everywhere, the difference though, is that this one is controlled by the Government, they say what gets aired, what the content is, what can't be shown. This we all accept, not that we like it, but we accept, and sometimes, it's not a bad thing. Sometimes the programs are of the lighter of heart affair, so it's okay.
Back in the UK though, where there is freedom of speech, freedom of press, TV is still crap. Nothing exciting or at this time of the year, nothing new.
One thing I do like about this time of year are the new words being used in the English language, and for those who know me, may find this very unusual, as because being an expat living abroad, and one who spends most of his talking time with his wife, whose second language is English, and have at some point taught English to lower level students, my own vocab, and grammar is sinking faster than the Titanic.
Most of the time these words are put together like a ham and cheese sandwich, without the pickle. This doesn't make me part of the sandwich generation, which I thought was a new term for threesomes, and if this was the case, I also missed out on this part as well.
One word that I have found more and more in usage, is the word über. Which I find 'cool'. Recently these have been used in these contexts (personally towards me) über horn, über Travis
Not that I don't mind to being referred to as Super (even though I did win a competition of this name, some many years ago. I am trying to find a picture of it for you) I just think that I haven't reached my peak yet. Although the dreaded four zero is fast approaching. At this rate, I may have to look at returnment finding a real job.

No comments:

Post a Comment